Singapore : A Bookworm's Paradise

Progressive and a strong battlefield when it comes to working, it is an image of great seriousness come to my mind whenever I think of Singapore. When I realized that I will venture my luck to find a job at this city, one of my major concerns is how I will survive without visiting a cool bookstore to do my ninja moves ( a.k.a. free reading of expensive books ). You see, being a self-confessed bookworm, the thought of not seeing and updating my self with books is a dilemma worst than being starving for three days. So it is a hallelujah moment to me when I discovered that the Merlion City is not just a hopeless business center but an emerging spot cultivating it's world-class Arts & Culture. Staying for a couple of months here gives me an ample time to visit some of the hippest and amazing libraries, museums, galleries and bookstores that will surely never gets you bored if you are a geeky gal like me.

National Gallery Singapore- I never imagined that I will have the privilege to visit the National Gallery. The regular rate of the entrance fee is quite a budget broker so I was really happy that the day we visited this was during the 51st Birthday of Singapore! Yey! To commemorate this special holiday, all of their museums are admission free.



Who doesn't like a free ticket? 


My friend Jay enjoying the performance of an orchestra at the lobby of the Gallery.


 The Gallery was the old supreme court of Singapore, so the great structure is full of chambers which serves a different function as exhibit area, conference rooms, mini-libraries and unique architectural designs- best way to chill and roam around.


The classy bridges connecting upper chambers are all so syalah!


Best spot to emote, haha

National Museum Singapore- home of the contemporary arts where new and indie artists across South East Asia are given the opportunity to exhibit their crafts. I even saw the Hele Sa Hiwagang Hapis, the eight-hour Filipino Film being exhibited here, simply fascinating!



My favorite spot in this room dedicated to all books about the Ocean: from stories about pirates, lost Atlantic, sea monsters, the golden age of voyages and even my all-time favorite Nellie Bly. 


An Indonesian Contemporary Art telling a story about the Sea and Death.

Red Dot Design Museum - if you are in the advertising and creative line of work, this is a good place to visit since, at daytime, some parts of the building are the offices of cool advertising and production agencies. Some nights are dedicated for art exhibits and parties of youngsters doing unique arts like comics destroying art, studio ghibli hand painting, etc.




The artist naming herself as a  comic destroyer. Yeah, those are collector's item.


Typography on Sale

Esplanade Public Library- located on the fourth floor of Esplanade, the public library is a haven for film enthusiast. Their library is a sanctuary of books turned into the big screen, with a multimedia section where you can watch old and new movies and do research all about film making. 



The simple art of the Ice Vendor, I find this very interesting.

Orchard Public Library- who would have thought that there is a large library at the busy mall in Orchard! The amazing white maze of bookshelves is open to the public, with a separate gallery for magazines. 




We just can't get enough with the pictorial,haha

Booktique , Where Writers Shop - is a unique bookstore dedicated to writers at heart. I am so happy to find this shop, most of the titles that they are selling cannot be found at your regular bookstore. I can stay here all day! They also have writing workshops wherein you can join fellow writers and learn from the pro. The shop owner, Anthony, is a life peg, he put up this business because of his passion for books and writing. Cool!!! 



One of the most touching moments of my life!!! When I visited the Booktique shop, Anthony said he remembered me and he also told me that I really love books , he even told me the title of the book that I am always reading in his shop ( ninja moves of free reading, haha ). He gave me the Remains of Elmet book for free and even encourages me to go to their workshops. Oh, the first time we visited this shop, he actually gave us tickets to a writing workshop in La Salle!

La Salle College of Arts- one of the most expensive universities in SG, you cant help but be fascinated to its architectural design.  And their library , well, you can access it anytime! I was given an opportunity to attend a writing workshop here for free, which is very memorable and life changing. I even met a fellow Filipina which is currently rocking the writing scene at Singapore!



 Me and my new friend Chelot during the Creative Writing Workshop. Full house with fellow writers, what an experience! 


Unfolding this multi-culture country, I am sooo loving Singapore now! I guess that I will still continue to explore new bookish spots  and looking forward in pushing my passion in writing here. I hope so, haha. Oh well, if you will ask me if I ever get bored living alone here? As of now... Nahhhh... not a single time!

read my next post : Singapore and all its amazing sceneries.

//somewhereira.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not a budol, we really made it to Boracay!

Philippines : What else to see Elyu?

Spirited away in Taiwan

Penang: If You Love Street Arts, Ask George